RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Two former special forces soldiers in Virginia are competing against each other for the Republican nomination in a deeply split congressional district.
Nick Freitas, a former Army Green Beret, announced Monday he’s running to be the GOP nomination in a Richmond-area district currently held by freshman Democratic U.S. Rep. Abigail Spanberger.
Freitas recently mounted a successful reelection campaign for his state House of Delegates seat after he failed to get on the ballot because he did not submit campaign paperwork on time.
John McGuire, a former Navy SEAL who is also a member of the state House, announced his congressional bid last month.
Both men have criticized Spanberger, a former CIA officer, for backing the impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump.
The district was reliably Republican until Trump’s election.
- Northam to provide COVID-19, Tropical Storm Isaias update at 2 p.m.
- StormTracker 8: Hot & humid with isolated T’Storms late
- Two-year-old shot in Whitcomb Court
- Richmond City Council to accept offers for possession of Confederate monuments
- ‘Olympic athletes are dying:’ Doc sheds light on suicide among Olympians