QUESTION: Do I have to vote in every election on my ballot?
ANSWER: The act of leaving certain elections blank on a ballot is called undervoting. People could skip a section of their ballot on purpose or by accident.
According to FindLaw, “there’s nothing illegal or wrong about leaving some spaces of a ballot blank.”
In Virginia, even if your ballot is returned by a scanner due to an undervote the ballot will still be cast.
To read the full FAQ, click here.
2020 ELECTION COVERAGE
- President Donald Trump said Sunday he was “ashamed” for endorsing the Republican governor of Georgia after he lost in the state to Democrat Joe Biden.
- Wisconsin has finished a recount of its presidential results, confirming Democrat Joe Biden’s victory over President Donald Trump in the key battleground state.
- Wisconsin finished a recount of its presidential results on Sunday, confirming Democrat Joe Biden's victory over President Donald Trump in the key battleground state. Trump vowed to challenge the outcome in court even before the recount concluded.
- President-elect Joe Biden has now surpassed 80 million votes, the most in history, with the final ballots still being counted.
- Milwaukee County completed its recount of presidential ballots Friday, finding only small changes in vote totals for one of the two Wisconsin counties recounting ballots, but President Donald Trump's attorneys appear ready for a legal challenge seeking to toss tens of thousands of ballots.
- President Donald Trump’s legal team suffered yet another defeat in court Friday as a federal appeals court in Philadelphia roundly rejected the campaign's latest effort to challenge the state’s election results.
- The Biden-Harris ticket has 80,033,996 votes with as many more still to tally, according to a running count by the non-partisan Cook Report. Each additional vote adds to the highest general election total in history.
- Trump ally, former NJ governor Chris Christie: president's election fraud claims are a 'national embarrassment'In an interview on Sunday, former New Jersey Governor and frequent Trump aide Christie condemned the Trump team's challenges against the victory of president-elect Joe Biden as "a national embarrassment."
- President Donald Trump’s campaign has requested a recount of votes in the Georgia presidential race, a day after state officials certified results showing Democrat Joe Biden won the state.
- Georgia’s top elections official on Friday certified results showing Democrat Joe Biden won the presidential race in the state after a hand tally stemming from a mandatory audit affirmed the Democrat’s lead over Republican President Donald Trump.