HENRICO, Va. (WRIC) — As Election Day approaches, volunteers are working in the community and motivating citizens to take action and vote.
Henrico resident Brittany Rose wants lawmakers to take her time and issues seriously.
Rose wants redistricting to be a priority in Central Virginia.
“I’ve been volunteering my time for about four years. We’re at a point that our legislators are disincentivized from actually working with each other because they need to play to their base,” said Rose.
Rose is a mom of three and she wants her children to be part of knocking on doors and sharing information with the public.
“We’ve had the conversation that sometimes being civically engaged means doing something that’s exciting and engaging, and sometimes it looks like me and my kids sitting around our kitchen table stuffing letters and sending them out to people to educate them about this issue,” explained Rose.
She says the community needs to focus more on local elections rather than national elections, like for President.
“There is a need to pay attention to local elections. Decisions are made every day for your community and they affect us the most,” said Rose.
Bobby Vassar, Campaign co-chair for Fair Maps Virginia, an organization that advocates for the end to gerrymandering in Virginia, says grassroot movements are part of American democracy.
“We won’t have legislators picking their voters, but we’ll have voters picking their legislators. And I think that will give us a much better form of government as well as process of government,” mentions Vassar.
People head to the polls in less than two months and will make their voices heard on issues that are important to them. And between now and Election Day, volunteers and advocates will continue to work in the community encouraging citizens to vote.
2020 ELECTION COVERAGE
- AG Herring shares training video on voter intimidation protections with Virginia's law enforcement, election officialsVirginia Attorney General Mark Herring (D) has shared a training video outlining voter intimidation protections and ways to deal with potentially illegal conduct at the polls with state law enforcement and election officials ahead of Election Day.
- As Election Day 2020 nears, politicians are utilizing all they can in order to win over voters, especially when it comes to getting their messages out on social media.
- EL PASO, Texas (Border Report) – Corpus Christi native Eva Longoria is the latest Hollywood celebrity hitting the campaign trail in 2020.
- Cars lined up on multiple streets this morning waiting to the Powhatan County Early Voting Drive-Thru Tent. The Office of Elections and Voter Registration says the wait was well over three hours long at 10 a.m. on Thursday.
- The new poll released Wednesday by CNU's Wason Center for Civic Leadership shows Biden is up 53%-41%. Only 4% of Virginia voters remain undecided and many have already cast their ballots.