RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Former Virginia House Speaker Kirk Cox has filed paperwork to run for governor in 2021. Cox joins a small field of Republicans looking to enter the race.
The 63-year-old Cox is a retired high school teacher who’s served in the House of Delegates since 1990.
He filed paperwork Wednesday to create a campaign committee.
Cox was elected as speaker in 2018. He lost that role after Democrats won a majority in both the House and Senate in November for the first time in a generation.
Cox announced in August that he was seriously considering a run for governor. He cited what he called a “vacuum of leadership” created by Democrats in recent months.
- Stimulus check calculator: Do you qualify for $1,400?
- ‘We didn’t see it approaching’: NC woman says she thinks animal that attacked her was coyote
- Coronavirus update: Lowest number of cases reported in Virginia since October
- StormTracker8: Warm up begins today
- Thieves swipe woman’s 500-pound safe filled with treasures, including lock of Alexander Hamilton’s hair