CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A Chesterfield man’s surveillance camera caught a campaign sign thief red-handed Sunday night. Now, less than 24 hours until election day, police say incidents have been happening throughout Central Virginia for some time.
Tensions are certainly high, from political arguments on social media to stolen campaign signs.
The Chester man chooses humor over anger after his signs were stolen and hope others get a laugh.
Just a lonely stake now stands in local radio DJ William Estremera’s yard.
“It’s a little shocking to me,” he said.
On Sunday night, he realized his signs supporting Joe Biden and Kamala Harris’ ticket were no longer in his yard. He reviewed his home surveillance video and realized he caught the crime on camera.
In the video, you can see a man running up onto his yard, snatching both of his signs, running back down to a car and then speeding off. However, the homeowner is not mad about it.
“To me, it’s entertaining,” he said. “It was funny. To me, it was hilarious. Besides, I already voted, so thank you for getting rid of it,” he joked.
WATCH: Campaign signs stolen from Chester man’s yard
Instead of getting upset, he took the video— and added some funny sound effects.
“After seeing the video, I could not go to sleep,” the man told 8News. Then, he shared it with the world on social media. “I think I got a lot of views. I can’t say how many views because they keep on going and going [up].”
It’s his way of lightening the mood.
“In this time and age that we are living in today, everybody is angry. Everybody has got a chip on their shoulder, so why not put a video with little effects on it and make it something funny,” he said. “Life is too short, so entertain yourself with this.”
Estremera said he called Chesterfield police to make sure they know this is happening.
CCPD told 8News within the last two months they’ve received more than 35 calls from other people reporting their signs were stolen too.
Richmond police say they’ve only received four calls of regarding signs being confiscated.
2020 ELECTION COVERAGE
- Trump ally, former NJ governor Chris Christie: president's election fraud claims are a 'national embarrassment'In an interview on Sunday, former New Jersey Governor and frequent Trump aide Christie condemned the Trump team's challenges against the victory of president-elect Joe Biden as "a national embarrassment."
- President Donald Trump’s campaign has requested a recount of votes in the Georgia presidential race, a day after state officials certified results showing Democrat Joe Biden won the state.
- Georgia’s top elections official on Friday certified results showing Democrat Joe Biden won the presidential race in the state after a hand tally stemming from a mandatory audit affirmed the Democrat’s lead over Republican President Donald Trump.
- Fighting to challenge an election he lost to President-elect Joe Biden, Trump has launched a barrage of lawsuits across the country. Top Republicans have stood behind him and said they will wait for those cases to be resolved before officially recognizing the winner, a standard that has no modern precedent.
- WILMINGTON, Del. (NEXSTAR/AP)- President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris held a news conference Thursday afternoon after meeting with the National Governor Association's leadership team. The National Governor Association's leadership team is comprised of five Republicans and four Democrats. According to the Associated Press, all of the Democrats and a majority of the Republicans […]
- Democratic Party officials in Virginia sent a letter Thursday to Richmond's Electoral Board calling for the resignation of the city's general registrar, J. Kirk Showalter, or for the board to dismiss Showalter over her handling of the 2020 election.
- A divide has begun to emerge among Democrats between the progressive and moderate wings of the party, stemming from a disappointing election performance.
- SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — When Gov. Brian Kemp won election two years ago, he pushed back forcefully against an outcry from Democrats who accused him of suppressing voter turnout to improve his odds of winning. “Look, we have laws on the books that prevent elections from being stolen from anyone,” Kemp, who oversaw that election […]
- Virginia's election results were certified Wednesday during a brief state Board of Elections meeting, two days after they were initially scheduled to be finalized.
- In normal times, the certification of election results is a routine process that doesn’t get much attention. But these are not normal times. As part of an ongoing series of attacks on the integrity of the election, President Donald Trump and his Republican allies are trying to stop the formal certification of results in some […]