WASHINGTON, D.C. (WRIC/AP) — Twitter has permanently suspended Donald Trump’s Twitter account.
The @realDonaldTrump will be paused to prevent possible “further incitement of violence.”
On Wednesday, Twitter had initially suspended Trump’s account for 12 hours after he posted a video that repeated false claims about election fraud and praised the rioters who stormed the Capitol.
Twitter says they had previously made it clear that they would permanently suspend the account if it kept violating guidelines. The company said that even elected officials and world leader’s accounts are not above guidelines restricting the incitement of violence.
Twitter’s move deprives Trump of a potent tool he has used to communicate directly with the American people for more than a decade. Twitter posted a lengthy explanation of its reasons for permanently suspending Trump’s account on its blog.
Information from the associated press was used in this article.
- Crews respond to large house fire in Hopewell on Saturday
- CNN fires anchor Chris Cuomo over work defending his brother, former N.Y. Gov. Andrew Cuomo
- Varina beats King’s Fork, advances to VHSL Class 4 state championship game
- Stone Bridge defeats Highland Springs in Class 5 state semifinals
- StormTracker8: Slightly cooler tomorrow