WASHINGTON, D.C. (WRIC/AP) — Twitter has permanently suspended Donald Trump’s Twitter account.
The @realDonaldTrump will be paused to prevent possible “further incitement of violence.”
On Wednesday, Twitter had initially suspended Trump’s account for 12 hours after he posted a video that repeated false claims about election fraud and praised the rioters who stormed the Capitol.
Twitter says they had previously made it clear that they would permanently suspend the account if it kept violating guidelines. The company said that even elected officials and world leader’s accounts are not above guidelines restricting the incitement of violence.
Twitter’s move deprives Trump of a potent tool he has used to communicate directly with the American people for more than a decade. Twitter posted a lengthy explanation of its reasons for permanently suspending Trump’s account on its blog.
Information from the associated press was used in this article.
- House catches fire in Richmond on Courtland Street
- Intruders trespass at Indiana Denny’s in dead of night, cook eggs — twice
- Restaurants deal with nationwide chicken wing shortage
- Diving into the science: Richmond infectious disease expert talks vaccine safety, hesitency and trust
- How a struggling household can get federal rental assistance