EMORY, Va. – The Randolph-Macon football team amassed 524 yards of total offense, including 408 yards on the ground with seven rushing touchdowns, in a 56-21 victory at Emory & Henry in ODAC action on Saturday afternoon to extend its win streak to seven.
Score: Randolph-Macon 56, Emory & Henry 21
Location/Venue: Emory, Virginia/Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
Records: R-MC 7-1, 5-0 ODAC; E&H 3-4, 2-3 ODAC
How It Happened
- There were five punts in a scoreless first quarter. The Yellow Jackets took over on their own 8 with 4:20 left in the first period. R-MC used 13 plays (11 on the ground) to go 92 yards in 6:28, as senior Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) scored from three yards out as the Yellow Jackets took a 7-0 lead with 12:52 left in the second quarter.
- The Wasps answered with its own 90-yard drive to level the score at 7-7 with 9:08 remaining in the second quarter.
- Junior Burke Estes (Wilmington, N.C./New Hanover) hit junior Sam Tanner (Mechanicsville,Va./Lee-Davis) on a 49-yard scoring strike as the Yellow Jackets took a 14-7 advantage midway through the second period.
- Sophomore Victor Robinson (Suffolk, Va./Kings Fork) picked off a pass on the E&H33 and returned it to the 12. On 3rd-and-5, senior Eric Hoy (Clayton, N.C./Clayton) sprinted around the right side and scored from seven yards out as the visitors took a 21-7 lead with 4:50 left until halftime.
- Junior Anthony Williams (Purcellville, Va./Woodgrove) had the second interception for the R-MC defense, taking the ball from the RM23 to near midfield. The Yellow Jackets were not able to add to its total, making it 21-7 at intermission.
- Frederick had 22 carries for 124 yards and 1 TD in the first half for R-MC.
- The Yellow Jackets took the second half kickoff and drove for another score. R-MC had 10 rushes for 65 yards in 5:28, as Hoy took it in from 12 yards out as the lead grew to 28-7 with 9:32 left in the third quarter.
- Sophomore Jordan Hall (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) raced 31 yards for another TD, capping a 6-play, 74 yard drive in 3:13 as the Yellow Jackets took a 35-7 advantage with 4:19 remaining in the third period.
- Following an E&H TD, Hall scored again from 22 yards out to give the visitors a 42-14 lead with 8:23 left in final period.
- Sophomore Shaheed Adeyola (Richmond, Va./Henrico) had a 40-yard TD run and senior Joe McBride (Arlington, Va./Yorktown0 capped the scoring on a 5-yard TD run as R-MC claimed the 56-21 victory.
Inside The Numbers
- R-MC had the ball for 36:45, compared to 23:15 for E&H. In the second half, the Yellow Jackets had the ball for 19:28 and the Wasps had it for 10:32.
- In the second half, R-MC ran 36 play for 301 yards. The Yellow Jackets ran it 34 times for 262 yards
- Frederick finished with 30 carries for 175 yards. Hall rushed 16 times for 104 yards.
- Sophomore Matthew Vergara (Chesterfield, Va./Benedictine) paced the defense with 11 tackles, including nine solo stops and one tackle for loss.
- R-MC owns a two-game lead with two to play in the conference standings. The Yellow Jackets are 5-0 in ODAC play, while Hampden-Sydney and Washington and Lee sit in a tie for second at 3-2.
- The Yellow Jackets have won seven straight, their longest in-season streak since winning eight in a row during the 1984 season.
- Frederick has 3,762 career rushing yards, the second-highest total in program history and fifth in ODAC history. He is nine yards away from No. 4 CW Clemmons of H-SC at 3,771.
- Randolph-Macon will have its final regular-season home game on Saturday, Nov. 3 at 1 p.m. at Day Field against Ferrum. The ODAC contest will be Senior Day for the Yellow Jackets.