Richmond Police charge, identify abduction suspect

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) -- The Richmond Police Department charged a 36-year-old Richmond man on Thursday with four felonies in connection with an abduction and robbery that occurred last Monday.

Frank E. Reid, 36, of the 1100 block of Williamsburg Road, has been charged with two counts of robbery and two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. According to a Richmond Police Department, charges were not brought immediately due to Reid's medical condition and so detectives could consult with other jurisdictions about crimes of a similar nature. At this point, Reid has not been directly linked to other on-going investigations.

At around 12:30 p.m. on November 16, two men were abducted by an armed suspect at a gas station in the 2600 block of E. Main Street in Shockoe Bottom. The suspect held the two victims at gunpoint, demanding money, then forced them to drive to the Bank of America at 1111 E. Main Street. One victim entered the bank to withdraw money. No funds were withdrawn, and the authorities were notified of the situation. The first victim remained inside the bank.

Officers responded to the bank and found the suspect vehicle driving away with the second victim still inside. At approximately 12:52 p.m. officers initiated a pursuit, following the SUV through numerous city neighborhoods, into Henrico County and back into the Church Hill area.

"Guess he had a lot on his mind and just couldn't take it anymore. That still doesn't give him an excuse to do what he did, you know?"

As the SUV approached the intersection of Magnolia Street and Mechanicsville Turnpike in Henrico County, Henrico Police deployed spike strips, which punctured the SUV's tires. The vehicle was unable to make the turn from 25th Street onto R Street and collided with a parked car before it came to a stop. The pursuit lasted about 30 minutes and never exceeded a speed of 35 mph.

Gunfire was exchanged between the suspect and officers. Both the victim and suspect were taken to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries but are currently in stable condition.

Monday's incident was not Reid's first brush with the law. Reid was released from jail earlier this year after a 16-year sentence for firing a gun into a building with people inside.

He's also done time for trespassing in addition to a conviction of assault and battery.

8News spoke with a man who shared a house with Reid before the carjacking. He tells us Reid had tried to start over after getting out of jail.

"He was working at Tyson -- just got a raise and benefits," he told 8News. "Guess he had a lot on his mind and just couldn't take it anymore. That still doesn't give him an excuse to do what he did, you know?"

Anyone with information that may be helpful to the investigation is asked to call Major Crimes Detective William Thompson at 804-646-3925 or Crime Stoppers at 780-1000. Citizens may also text Crime Stoppers at 274637, using the key word "ITip" followed by your tip. Both Crime Stoppers methods are anonymous.

Local Headlines

Latest News

Latest Local News

Video Center