CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A Chesterfield County police officer saved a 7-month-old baby from choking at a Chick-Fil-A.
A family was eating at the Koger Center Blvd. location Friday night when their baby grabbed a fry from the table and tried to eat it.
According to the family, the baby girl was eating and laughing but then they heard her coughing. They realized she was choking.
“So I picked her up and started patting her back, and then she grabbed me by my arm and led me over to the officer and I asked him, “Can you help us? Our daughter’s not breathing right now,” said Jared Moore. “And, at that moment –he sprung into action–he did what he had to do. He had dislodged it–within seconds.”
Officer Christopher King’s quick thinking helped Baby Ava Nicole breathe again. Officer King was on his dinner break at Chick-Fil-A, which Ava’s parents, Jared and Ashlee, were grateful for.
“I’m just so thankful for him and that he was there,” Hubbard and Moore told 8News.
The pair added that Officer King called first responders while giving Ava Nicole CPR, then stayed with them while they waited for paramedics.
“She didn’t even start crying after he had dislodged it,” Moore said. “She was just perfectly calm with him, let him hold her; it was perfect”He did everything the perfect way better than anyone else could.”
It’s like Ava knew Officer King was there to save her life, her parents told 8News. Now, the family is reflecting on how truly important Officer King being there was.
“You know, right place at the right time, cause if it wasn’t for him I don’t know if she’d still be here,” Hubbard said.
Ava Nicole was checked at the Chick-Fila-A and is doing just fine, the family tells 8News.