McKINNEY, Texas (CNN) — An experiment with a holiday present set a Texas family’s yard on fire on Christmas day.
Nissa-Lynn Parson said her 12-year-old son Cayden was really excited by the magnifying glass he got as a gift and he wanted to try it out right away.
According to mom, he went outside with his brothers to use the sun to burn holes in newspapers.
But wind blew embers on to the lawn, which caught fire, causing the Christmas lights to start melting.
The family jumped to work and was able to put out the fire without involving authorities.
Mom says instead of a tragedy, the family has a Christmas story to remember.