CHARLESTON, WV (WOWK) – A 30-day operation resulted in 98 arrests, including five gang members and three people accused of murder as well as the recovery of three missing children from California, according to U.S. Marshals.
The U.S. Marshals Service Cops United Felony Fugitive Enforcement Division (CUFFED) Task Force led the operation, called “Operation Double Impact,” with assistance from 17 law enforcement agencies throughout West Virginia as well as one agency from Ohio.
U.S. Marshals Service Southern District of West Virginia officers say the goal of “Operation Double Impact,” which concluded in September, was to reduce violent gang crime.
In addition to the 98 arrests, law enforcement officers seized 74 firearms, 152 kilograms – or about 335 pounds – of narcotics, including marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, and heroin and more than $180,000 in currency.
This operation conducted by the U.S. Marshals’ task force was a great success. 98 arrests. Lots of drugs. Lots of illegal firearms. We are tough on violent criminals and we need to get tougher.United States Attorney Mike Stuart
During a press conference with U.S. Attorney Mike Stuart, U.S. Marshals identified four of the people arrested in the operation:
- Kymonie Davis is accused of shooting seven people during a mass shooting at a hookah bar in Huntington, WV on Dec. 31, 2019. He reportedly fled to Detroit, Michigan and arrested on Aug. 23 by USMS in eastern Michigan arrested he allegedly stole a 2015 Bently.
- Dimitrias Malone is accused of shooting and killing a man in Charleston, WV on January 16, 2016. He was arrested by USMS in Vermont where he had allegedly lived under an alias for four years.
- Samuel Hunter and Joseph Limon were charged with kidnapping Hunters three young children following a paternal custody dispute. USMS in southern WV received a collateral lead from Los Angeles, CA for Hunter, who had allegedly threatened violence against law enforcement if they attempted to locate him or take his children. Both men were arrested in Beckley, WV and the children were safely turned over to Child Protective Services. Hunter was armed with a handgun at the time of his arrest.
The U.S. Marshals Service is committed to working with federal, state and local law enforcement partners to combat violent crime throughout the Southern District of West Virginia and the United States.Michael Baylous, U.S. Marshal for the Southern District of West Virginia
The operation was conducted by the U.S. Marshals Service Cops United Felony Fugitive Enforcement Division Task Force along with the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, The West Virginia State Police, West Virginia Department of Corrections, Cabell County Sheriff’s Office, Kanawha County Sheriff’s Office, Putnam County Sheriff’s Office, Jackson County Sheriff’s Office, Roane County Sheriff’s Office, Mercer County Sheriff’s Office, Raleigh County Sheriff’s Office, Charleston Police Department, Huntington Police Department, Princeton Police Department, Barboursville Police Department, Beckley Police Department, Milton Police Department, Ravenswood Police Department and Ironton Ohio Police Department.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- A Chesterfield family was forced to grieve the loss of their daughter for a second time after a prized possession was swiped from their vehicle.
- Richmond Police are investigating after a man reported he was the victim of a robbery early Monday morning.
- A man seen forcefully exhaling on two women outside President Donald Trump’s Virginia golf course has been charged with assault.
- Authorities say they arrested a 15-year-old boy in connection to a shooting at a suburban Milwaukee mall that injured eight people.
- The Wegmans grocery store in Short Pump was robbed on Saturday afternoon around 3:00 p.m.
- Two shootings took place in Richmond's southside Sunday, just one mile and two hours time separating the incidents. A teenage girl is now dead and a man attempted to take his own life.
- Police continued to search Sunday for the suspect in a shooting at a Wisconsin mall that left seven adults and a teenager injured.
- It's not believed the boy was the intended target and neither were the child's grandmother and 10-year-old sister, who were in the house at the time.
- A Polk County couple won’t serve any prison time in a child abuse case in which a malnourished, injured teenage girl was found hiding in the woods.
- During a press conference Saturday, Judd said 46-year-old Shawn Fitzgerald was arrested Friday and charged with 408 counts of possessing child pornography.