ALBANY, N.Y. — Kansas City’s favorite actor and the governor of New York have teamed up in a goofy new video with one underlying message — “Wear a mask.”
The video, posted to Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s YouTube page and Twitter account on Sept. 14, already has nearly a quarter of a million views and 112,000 favorites, respectively.
“Governor Cuomo asked 26-year-old actor Paul Rudd to explain why the youths should wear masks. Listen to Paul,” the caption of the video states.
In the video, Rudd acts as a “Certified Young Person,” using satire and a lot of Millennial and Gen Z lingo.
“So Cuoms asked me, he’s like, ‘So Paul. What are you, like 26?’ And I didn’t correct him,” Rudd says in the video. “So fam, let’s real talk. Masks, they’re totally beast! So slide that into your DMs and Twitch it!”
Watch the video embedded in this story to see the full PSA. If you need a translation, here are definitions for a few of the words he uses:
- Homie: A friend or a member of one’s peer group or gang
- No cap: “No lie,” often used to show someone is not exaggerating
- Fam: Like “family,” often used to reference a friend group
- Beast: Someone who does something really well
- Twitch: A social media platform meant for streaming live videos
- Queen: A person, usually a woman, who is very confident and doesn’t take disrespect
- Stan: An overzealous or obsessive fan of a particular celebrity
- Bae: An affectionate term for someone you love or care about
- Dank: A term describing something as “excellent”
- Yeet: To throw something, coming from the Yeet dance where the dancer makes a throwing motion while saying “Yeet!”
- Father of man accused in Louisa vape shop drug raid speaks out against son: ‘I would have thrown him under the bus’
- A conversation with Sen. Mark Warner on COVID-19, a second stimulus package, health care and his race against Daniel Gade
- ‘It would create a constitutional crisis’: Democrats, Republicans clash on when to fill Supreme Court vacancy
- Health care, abortion center stage in SCOTUS fight
- Man, juvenile charged in deadly shooting of 19-year-old in Henrico