PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — A drug suspect is accused of putting two children in harm’s way when he fled deputies in Pasco County on Thursday and crashed into a pond, authorities said.
According to an affidavit, the incident began around 3:15 p.m. Thursday on U.S. Highway 19.
The Pasco County Sheriff’s Office said a deputy had tried to stop the vehicle over a window tint violation, but it sped away and went into a nearby mobile home park with the deputy in pursuit.
After driving past several people walking their dogs, the driver, identified as Jonathan Mark DeLoach, 30, lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a pond.
The sheriff’s office released video of the incident Friday morning. A woman can be seen getting out of the vehicle and crying for help. Deputies said two children were in the car crying, scared and saying they couldn’t swim.
Deputies said officers and bystanders rushed to the pond and pulled the woman and children to safety. The man was removed from the driver’s seat. No injuries were reported.
“They [the children] were shivering from the water and continued to cry and appeared to be suffering from the traumatic mental injury,” the report stated.
The sheriff’s office said a bag of crystal meth was found floating near the car. DeLoach, a known drug dealer, had several warrants out for his arrest, according to the affidavit.
DeLoach was arrested on several charges, including child abuse, possession of methamphetamine, driving with a suspended licens (habitual offender), fleeing to elude and reckless driving.
He was being held at the Land O’ Lakes Detention Center.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- A Chesterfield family was forced to grieve the loss of their daughter for a second time after a prized possession was swiped from their vehicle.
- Richmond Police are investigating after a man reported he was the victim of a robbery early Monday morning.
- A man seen forcefully exhaling on two women outside President Donald Trump’s Virginia golf course has been charged with assault.
- Authorities say they arrested a 15-year-old boy in connection to a shooting at a suburban Milwaukee mall that injured eight people.
- The Wegmans grocery store in Short Pump was robbed on Saturday afternoon around 3:00 p.m.
- Two shootings took place in Richmond's southside Sunday, just one mile and two hours time separating the incidents. A teenage girl is now dead and a man attempted to take his own life.
- Police continued to search Sunday for the suspect in a shooting at a Wisconsin mall that left seven adults and a teenager injured.
- It's not believed the boy was the intended target and neither were the child's grandmother and 10-year-old sister, who were in the house at the time.
- A Polk County couple won’t serve any prison time in a child abuse case in which a malnourished, injured teenage girl was found hiding in the woods.
- During a press conference Saturday, Judd said 46-year-old Shawn Fitzgerald was arrested Friday and charged with 408 counts of possessing child pornography.