BELL GARDENS, Calif. (KTLA) – Police in Bell Gardens, California, are looking for a man who allegedly sexually assaulted a woman in the restroom of a Petco while armed with scissors, officials said Tuesday.
The incident occurred just before 4 p.m. Monday at a shopping center, officials said in a news release.
The victim, who works at the store, said she was on her break when she went to the employee restroom and a man forced his way in while being armed with scissors.
“As soon as he came in through the door, I told him to get out, and I guess that wasn’t enough, because he still forced his way in,” the victim, who only wanted to be identified as Jaylene, told KTLA. “As soon as he came in there was a physical attack.”
The man allegedly sexually assaulted her, but she was able to eventually fight him off.
The assailant was last seen running from the location toward Eastern Avenue, and the store manager alerted authorities.
Detective Sgt. Angelo Sinisi called the attack “bold” and “brazen.” He also credited the victim for fighting the assailant off.
The man was described as a 25- to 35-year-old Black man with a medium build, between 5 feet, 4 inches and 5 feet, 6 inches tall and weighing between 160 and 180 pounds. He has a flat-top haircut and was wearing thick-framed glasses, a blue face mask, a white T-shirt, dark jeans and white shoes, police said.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- Five people are wanted for using counterfeit bills to make purchases at a Walmart.
- A Publix in Chesterfield County is the latest grocery store to be robbed in RVA since Saturday.
- Several high-end grocery stores were robbed in Richmond and Henrico County over the last week.
- Virginia State Police is heading an officer-involved shooting investigation after a deputy was shot four times in Rockingham County.
- EL PASO, Texas (Border Report) — U.S. Border Patrol agents found two undocumented immigrants hidden in the trunk of a small car on Saturday at a checkpoint in California, according to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection news release.
- Police are looking for Lamar Shermon Hill, 36, who is wanted for the attempted murder of a police officer. Police say Hill is considered armed and dangerous.
- Richmond Police are investigating a shooting that claimed the life of Chae’Meshia Simms, a transgender woman in her 30’s.
- The Trader Joe's in the Stony Point Shopping Center was robbed at gunpoint on Monday, according to the Richmond Police Department.
- The U.S. government now plans to execute the first female inmate in almost six decades just days before President-elect Joe Biden, an opponent of the death penalty, takes office.
- The latest crime statistics show violent crime is on the rise across the country, with murders up dramatically in America’s three largest cities.