Sailor kills 2, himself in attack at Pearl Harbor shipyard

U.S. & World

HONOLULU (AP/KHON2) – A U.S. sailor shot and wounded three civilian Department of Defense employees at the Pearl Harbor shipyard Wednesday before taking their own life, the military said.

Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, one of the Navy’s major installations, said the shooting began around 2:30 p.m. at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard. The military didn’t release a motive or any identifying information about the sailor who opened fire.

In a press conference held Wednesday evening, Rear Admiral Robert Chadwick said that the shooter had been identified as an active-duty U.S. Sailor assigned to the USS Columbia.

Admiral Chadwick also said that the shooter reportedly shot and injured three Department of Defense civilian workers before killing himself. Two of the three victims later died. The third victim is in stable condition at Queen’s Medical Center.

It is unclear if the victims were targeted.

Officials said that the base security and the Navy Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) are investigating. The names of the victims will not be released until the next of kin has been notified.

Due to the security incident, access and gates to JBPHH were closed. The lockdown was later lifted and all gates were reopened around 4 p.m.
The public was advised to avoid heavy traffic on Kamehameha and Nimitz Highway.

The base has reopened following a lockdown.

The shipyard repairs, maintains and modernizes the ships and submarines of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, which is headquartered at Pearl Harbor. The base is the home port for 10 destroyers and 15 submarines.

Hawaii Gov. David Ige said the White House has offered assistance from federal agencies and that the state is also ready to help if needed.

“I join in solidarity with the people of Hawaii as we express our heartbreak over this tragedy and concern for those affected by the shooting,” Ige said in a statement.

I join in solidarity with the people of Hawai‘i as we express our heartbreak over this tragedy and concern for those affected by the shooting. Details are still emerging as security forces at Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam investigate. The White House has reached out to offer assistance from federal agencies, and the state is standing by to assist where necessary.

GOV. DAVID IGE

The Honolulu Police and Fire Departments responded to the scene.

NCIS is leading the investigation.

According to Pearl Harbor officials, the Emergency Family Assistance Center is now open and will remain open until further notice. It is located at 4827 Bougainville Drive (Same Bldg as PSD). You can also call the Crisis Call Center at
866-525-6676

“We are all shaken by this senseless act of violence. All of Hawai‘i hurts when our ‘ohana gets hurt. Our hearts go out to the victims and their families, and all who serve our Country at the shipyard. We send our thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time,” said Kauai Mayor Derek S. K. Kawakami.

The shipyard is across the harbor from the Pearl Harbor National Memorial, which on Saturday will mark the 78th anniversary of the Japanese attack that propelled the U.S. into World War II. More than 2,300 Americans died in the attack on Dec. 7, 1941.

Stay with 8News for updates to this developing story.

LATEST HEADLINES:

LATEST HEADLINES

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

StormTracker 8

Trending Stories

More Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Local Events