(KHON) — With the NBA suspending operations, New Orleans Pelicans rookie Zion Williamson pledged to cover the salaries of workers at the Smoothie King Center, the Pelicans home arena, for the next 30 days.
In an Instagram post, the 19-year-old cited how much he cares for the city of New Orleans despite only living there since last June.
On Wednesday, the NBA announced that it was suspending play due to COVID-19 concerns. On Thursday, league commissioner Adam Silver said the suspension would last at least 30 days.
Williamson’s pledge comes a day after Kevin Love of the Cleveland Cavaliers pledged $100,000 to the workers of Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, the home arena of the Cavaliers.
- Patriots look to rebound as they host 2-0 Raiders
- StormTracker 8: Mild with mainly cloudy skies
- Patterson steps up, leads No. 20 Hokies past NC State 45-24
- Crash under investigation in Hanover County
- Rosie’s Gaming Emporium builds bunk beds for Bunks Across America