WASHINGTON (AP) — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is criticizing the White House for failing to notify congressional leaders before the U.S. raid in Syria that President Donald Trump says killed the leader of the Islamic State group.
She notes that the U.S. let Russia know the raid was in the works.
Trump said U.S. military helicopters flew over territory controlled by Russian and Syrian forces before landing at Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi’s compound. He also said he kept lawmakers out of the loop because he was fearful of leaks.
Pelosi says the Trump administration must brief Congress on the operation and on the administration’s overall strategy for the Mideast.
Before the 2011 raid in Pakistan that killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, the Obama administration did give advance word to the top two Democrats and Republicans in the House and Senate as well as the four leaders of the congressional intelligence committees.
- Timeline of the search for Summer Wells
- StormTracker8: Tropical Depression Claudette makes an exit soon; Another hot day ahead to start the workweek
- Charlotte City Councilmember suggests arresting people who give money to the homeless
- ABC holding ribbon-cutting ceremony for new headquarters and distribution center today
- Heavy rainfall and flash flooding expected along North Carolina coast through Monday morning