WASHINGTON (AP) – President Donald Trump said Friday that the U.S. will be terminating its relationship with the World Health Organization, saying it had failed to adequately respond to the coronavirus because China has “total control” over the global organization.
He said Chinese officials “ignored” their reporting obligations to the WHO and pressured the WHO to mislead the world when the virus was first discovered.
He noted that the U.S. contributes about $450 million to the world body while China provides about $40 million.
The U.S. is the largest source of financial support to the WHO and its exit is expected to significantly weaken the organization. Trump said the U.S. would be “redirecting” the money to “other worldwide and deserving urgent global public health needs,” without providing specifics.
This is a developing story. Stay with 8News for updates.
- StormTracker 8: Clouds linger overnight
- Sculpture in Rocketts Landing knocked over after being backed into by a vehicle
- Widow condemns “barbaric” death of driver beaten over masks
- Florida man accused of setting Catholic church on fire
- UPDATE: Missing 80-year-old Franklin County woman suffering from cognitive impairment located safely, VSP says