TAMPA (WFLA/CNN) – U.S. Senator Mitt Romney is proposing a temporary pay raise for essential workers during the coronavirus pandemic.
The Utah Republican calls it “Patriot Pay.”
it would be a bonus of $12 per hour in May, June, and July for a total of $1,920 per month.
The plan outlines that a quarter of the money would be paid by the employer and three quarters by the federal government using a refundable payroll tax credit.
Under Romney’s plan, eligible workers would include healthcare professionals, grocery store workers, and employees at food processing plants.
Senate Democrats also have plans to give essential workers hazard pay.
- Person shot on Maury Street in Richmond
- President-elect Biden announces picks for science team as security tightens ahead of inauguration
- StormTracker 8: Gradually clearing skies tonight
- ‘A tremendous demand’: VDH had 300,000 requests for vaccine doses this week alone, but not enough supply
- Man arrested after trying to enter D.C. security checkpoint with loaded gun, fake inauguration credentials