MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WREG) — A Tennessee pastor was shot Monday, becoming one of three people shot in the Frayser area of Memphis in a matter of hours.
The shooting of Pastor Ricky Floyd happened the same night sister station WREG shared his story of helping teens escape violence in his neighborhood.
Floyd, the pastor at the Pursuit of God Transformation Center, spent Monday night mentoring young men. He said he left feeling good because they were changing lives for the better.
But shortly afterward, things changed.
“Somebody was trailing me and for some reason they unloaded several rounds into my car,” Floyd said. “Five hit the car and one hit my leg.”
He said the bullet went through his leg, but despite that, he said he saw God at work.
“It didn’t hit any bones or veins,” Floyd said. “So I’m able to walk less that 24 hours after a bullet wound through the leg.”
Floyd was one of three people shot in Frayser in just hours. Memphis police said two other people were hurt in a shootout between two cars. Aside from his gunshot wound, Floyd said the growing crime in his community is a source of pain for him.
“That hurt me. That hurt me more than the fact that I got shot, that it happened in this community,” he said.
Floyd said it could have been worse. His oldest grandchild, who is 5 years old, is normally with him.
“I believe that my wounds are so minimized because I have an assignment here. And I think God needs me here to feel the pain of the people. It’s not enough for me to sympathize, now I can empathize with families who’ve experienced this unwarranted violence on their life,” he said.
Police said a new model black Chevrolet Tahoe with tinted windows may have been involved.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- GRENADA, Miss. (WJTV) – The Grenada Police Department is investigating after 11 people were shot at a biker club early Sunday morning, according to the Delta Democrat Times. Authorities from the Grenada Police Department and the Grenada County Sheriff’s Department responded to multiple shots fired at SSMC Biker Club on Highway 8 East shortly after […]
- An unknown gunman fired into a crowd gathered at a Saturday afternoon burial service of a teenager who was fatally shot by a Florida sheriff's deputy earlier this month, officials said.
- A 27-year-old man is suspected of drunk driving after a head-on collision injured two children in his car and killed a 70-year-old driver of another vehicle.
- Police in Maine have arrested a man accused of killing his father’s cat with a frying pan on Thanksgiving.
- The Petersburg Police Department is investigating a shooting with one injury in the 700 block of Independence Avenue. The victim was taken to a Richmond hospital by air lift.
- According to NYSP, there were multiple reports of the suspect driver intentionally attempting to hit other vehicles.
- A woman's body was found in the water in Ocean View Friday afternoon, Norfolk Police said.
- A man has been arrested for robbing two grocery stores in Henrico's west end this month. According to the Henrico Police Department, during each robbery the suspect would give the cashier a note and escape with money.
- Chesterfield County and Colonial Heights Crime Solvers is asking for the public's help to find two fugitives this week.
- A 'porch pirate' was caught on camera this week in Richmond. The perpetrator? Someone dressed as an Amazon delivery driver.