SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. (WRIC) — The Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office said Friday that two people are dead after a shooting inside a hospital room on the fourth floor of Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center. Authorities do not believe anyone at the hospital or nearby area are in danger.
Detectives are investigating the shooting, which took place inside a patient’s room at 9:15 a.m., according to a release from the sheriff’s office.
Authorities said the shooting was heard by medical personnel and was isolated to a room where two victims, described as “elderly individuals,” were found dead.
An investigation revealed that Pamela Turella, a 76-year-old patient at the hospital, was fatally shot by her husband Alexander Turella, 80, who then took his own life in the room.
“Our staff is understandably shaken and saddened by the tragedy that occurred this morning. This was an isolated domestic incident and we are assisting police on their investigation,” HCA Virginia said in a statement. “We will be providing resources, including counseling, to those who may be impacted by what they experienced.”
Check back for updates to this developing story.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- A Chesterfield family was forced to grieve the loss of their daughter for a second time after a prized possession was swiped from their vehicle.
- Richmond Police are investigating after a man reported he was the victim of a robbery early Monday morning.
- A man seen forcefully exhaling on two women outside President Donald Trump’s Virginia golf course has been charged with assault.
- Authorities say they arrested a 15-year-old boy in connection to a shooting at a suburban Milwaukee mall that injured eight people.
- The Wegmans grocery store in Short Pump was robbed on Saturday afternoon around 3:00 p.m.
- Two shootings took place in Richmond's southside Sunday, just one mile and two hours time separating the incidents. A teenage girl is now dead and a man attempted to take his own life.
- Police continued to search Sunday for the suspect in a shooting at a Wisconsin mall that left seven adults and a teenager injured.
- It's not believed the boy was the intended target and neither were the child's grandmother and 10-year-old sister, who were in the house at the time.
- A Polk County couple won’t serve any prison time in a child abuse case in which a malnourished, injured teenage girl was found hiding in the woods.
- During a press conference Saturday, Judd said 46-year-old Shawn Fitzgerald was arrested Friday and charged with 408 counts of possessing child pornography.