RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — An event considered the world’s leading international competition for young violinists has been postponed for a year in light of the coronavirus pandemic, organizers announced Wednesday.
The Menuhin Competition had been scheduled for May 14-24 in Richmond, Virginia. The event known as the “Olympics of the Violin” will instead be held May 13-23, 2021, organizers said in a news release.
The competition, typically held every two years in a different location, was founded in 1983 by violinist Yehudi Menuhin, one of the great musical talents of the 20th century.
“All of us involved in the Menuhin Competition Richmond 2020 regret the need to postpone the event, but recognize the imperative to avoid any large gatherings until the COVID-19 danger has lifted,” David Fisk, executive director of the Richmond Symphony, said in a statement on behalf of the consortium of hosts.
The 44 competitors selected for this year’s competition will all be invited to participate in the rescheduled event, according to the news release. The same repertoire will be used, and competitors will participate in the same division for which they qualified this year, even if they have aged out, the news release said.
The competitors represented 16 countries of residence across North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australia, and 13 U.S. states.
Tickets purchased for this year’s events will be honored next year. Individual venues can also offer refunds if requested, the news release said.
For more coronavirus coverage, click here.