RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Here’s the latest coronavirus update from the Virginia Department of Health for Wednesday, April 7:
The Virginia Department of Health is reporting 1,550 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total number of cases in the Commonwealth to 629,155. On Tuesday cases in the Commonwealth increased by 1,434.
The number of deaths increased to 10,415 since yesterday. The state’s positivity rate decreased slightly to 6.2%.
VDH is reporting that a total of 4,344,970 COVID-19 vaccines have been administered as of April 7.
The percentage of people in the state who have been vaccinated with at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine is 33.6%.
A total of 1,604,477 people have been fully vaccinated in Virginia. According to the most recent Census data, there are 8,535,519 people living in the state.
On average 78,785 COVID-19 vaccine doses are administered every day.
According to the Virginia Hospitals and Healthcare Association, 52,111 COVID-19 patients were discharged from the hospital.
Currently, there are 1,059 patients in the hospital who either have COVID-19 or have pending test results. Of those patients, 254 are in the ICU and 140 are on a ventilator.
COVID-19 at local universities
As of April 6, the college has reported:
- 39 active student cases and 13 active employee cases of COVID-19.
- 3 student is in isolation on campus.
- 10 students are in quarantine on campus.
As of April 5, here is what the college has reported:
- 17 current active COVID-19 cases
- March 2021 monthly positivity was 0.5%
- 21,896 total COVID-19 tests*
*Total COVID tests are the total number of PCR or antigen tests conducted by UR or self-reported by students, faculty and staff.
Local COVID-19 cases in Central Virginia
- Charles City County: 466 cases, 15 deaths
- Chesterfield County: 26,046 cases, 404 deaths
- City of Colonial Heights: 1,573 cases, 57 deaths
- City of Hopewell: 2,425 cases, 64 deaths
- City of Petersburg: 3,602 cases, 79 deaths
- City of Richmond: 16,159 cases, 255 deaths
- Dinwiddie County: 2,029 cases, 42 deaths
- Goochland County: 1,355 cases, 23 deaths
- Hanover County: 7,597 cases, 148 deaths
- Henrico County: 23,856 cases, 583 deaths
- New Kent County: 1,421 cases, 14 death
- Powhatan County: 1,813 cases, 14 deaths