RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Here’s the latest coronavirus update from the Virginia Department of Health for Wednesday, February 24:
The Virginia Department of Health is reporting 1,907 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total number of cases to 568,946.
The state is reporting 7,807 deaths, an increase of 149 in the last 24 hours. The positivity rate decreased to 8%.
According to the Virginia Hospitals and Healthcare Association, 46,208 COVID-19 patients were discharged from the hospital.
Currently, there are 1,564 patients in the hospital who either have COVID-19 or have pending test results. Of those patients, 318 are in the ICU and 185 are on a ventilator.
VDH is reporting that a total of 1,667,353 COVID-19 vaccines have been administered as of Feb. 24.
The percentage of people in the state who have been vaccinated with at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine is 13.5%.
A total of 516,655 people have been fully vaccinated in Virginia. According to the most recent Census data, there are 8,535,519 people living in the state.
On average 31,923 COVID-19 vaccine doses are administered every day.
Virginia’s pre-registration system open
Virginians hoping to sign up for the COVID-19 vaccine are now able to through a new statewide pre-registration system that opened Wednesday morning.
CLICK HERE to pre-register for a COVID-19 vaccine in Virginia.
Coronavirus testing near you
- Wednesday: Feb. 24 – 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. St. Augustine Catholic Church, 4400 Beulah Road.
- Thursday: Feb. 25 – 10 a.m. to noon. Walmsley United Methodist Church, 2950 Walmsley Blvd.
- Thursday: Feb. 25 — 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Second Baptist Church, 3300 Broad Rock Boulevard
COVID-19 at local universities
As of Feb. 23, the college has reported:
- 66 active student cases and 10 active employee cases of COVID-19.
- 18 students are in isolation on campus.
- 29 students are in quarantine on campus.
As of Feb. 22, here is what the college has reported:
- 14 current active COVID-19 cases
- January 2021 monthly positivity was 3.6%
- 10,829 total COVID-19 tests*
*Total COVID tests are the total number of PCR or antigen tests conducted by UR or self-reported by students, faculty and staff.
Local COVID-19 cases in Central Virginia
- Charles City County: 487 cases, 15 deaths
- Chesterfield County: 26,692 cases, 411 deaths
- City of Colonial Heights: 1,642 cases, 58 deaths
- City of Hopewell: 2,501 cases, 66 deaths
- City of Petersburg: 3,709 cases, 81 deaths
- City of Richmond: 16,526 cases, 258 deaths
- Dinwiddie County: 2,066 cases, 42 deaths
- Goochland County: 1,397 cases, 23 deaths
- Hanover County: 7,847 cases, 150 deaths
- Henrico County: 24,507 cases, 594 deaths
- New Kent County: 1,449 cases, 15 deaths
- Powhatan County: 1,850 cases, 15 deaths