ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. (WFXR) — Local emergency crews are responding to a train derailment in Roanoke County.
The incident happened around 10:15 p.m. along Barley Drive.
According to a representative from Norfolk Southern, 26 rail cars derailed. No one on the train crew was injured and no hazardous materials were involved.
The coal train was en route from Weller to Norfolk, Va.
Multiple agencies are on scene coordinating cleanup and recovery efforts.
The cause of the derailment is still under investigation.
- One person killed, another wounded in Black Friday shooting at Arden Fair Mall
- CDC sets meeting on allocation of COVID-19 vaccine
- Nurse who came out of retirement to train others dies from COVID-19
- WATCH: Cute critters play with some pumpkins donated to the Mill Mountain Zoo in Roanoke
- Suspect arrested for two grocery store robberies in Henrico County