POUND, Va. (WRIC) — An inmate at Red Onion State Prison was killed Friday, the Department of Corrections said in a release. The offender’s cellmate is suspected of the attack.
“The 47-year-old male inmate was pronounced dead at Dickenson Community Hospital at 6:49 p.m. The inmate was in general population, serving a life sentence without parole for first-degree murder. His name is being withheld while the VADOC attempts to reach his next of kin,” the Department of Corrections said.
The cellmate, a 54-year-old man, is currently serving a life sentence for first-degree murder and other various charges.
VADOC says the incident is being investigated as a homicide.
Red Onion State Prison is located in Pound, Virginia.
- Virginia panel: move Lee statue from U.S Capitol to museum
- Mid-American Conference cancels fall football due to virus
- Candlelight Vigil for Lebanon to be held at Monroe Park tonight
- State and city leaders come together for ‘Conversations at the Monument’
- StormTracker 8: Isolated storms this afternoon