POUND, Va. (WRIC) — An inmate at Red Onion State Prison was killed Friday, the Department of Corrections said in a release. The offender’s cellmate is suspected of the attack.
“The 47-year-old male inmate was pronounced dead at Dickenson Community Hospital at 6:49 p.m. The inmate was in general population, serving a life sentence without parole for first-degree murder. His name is being withheld while the VADOC attempts to reach his next of kin,” the Department of Corrections said.
The cellmate, a 54-year-old man, is currently serving a life sentence for first-degree murder and other various charges.
VADOC says the incident is being investigated as a homicide.
Red Onion State Prison is located in Pound, Virginia.
- Half of US adults have received at least one COVID-19 shot
- Alma Wahlberg, mother of Mark, Donnie Wahlberg, dies at 78
- Judge lets med student’s free-speech lawsuit move ahead
- VSP: Body found ‘burned beyond recognition’ inside a car in Northampton County
- Chesterfield police request petition of juvenile for bomb threat at Salem Middle