POUND, Va. (WRIC) — An inmate at Red Onion State Prison was killed Friday, the Department of Corrections said in a release. The offender’s cellmate is suspected of the attack.
“The 47-year-old male inmate was pronounced dead at Dickenson Community Hospital at 6:49 p.m. The inmate was in general population, serving a life sentence without parole for first-degree murder. His name is being withheld while the VADOC attempts to reach his next of kin,” the Department of Corrections said.
The cellmate, a 54-year-old man, is currently serving a life sentence for first-degree murder and other various charges.
VADOC says the incident is being investigated as a homicide.
Red Onion State Prison is located in Pound, Virginia.
- GoPro found after 6 years at the bottom of Honolulu ocean returned to owner
- 1 dead, several critically injured after a tornado in Alabama
- Virginia First Lady Pam Northam to announce 2021 Richmond History Makers
- 16-year-old Virginia pilot delivers 5,000 pieces of PPE to West Virginia hospital
- Chesterfield schools preparing for elementary students to return to in-person learning next week