LEXINGTON, Va. (WFXR) – After hours of discussion, Lexington City Council unanimously voted to rename Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery.
Earlier Thursday night, six speakers joined City Council via Zoom, to voice their thoughts. All six voiced support in renaming the cemetery.
Another larger group of citizens emailed City Council with the majority also supporting renaming the cemetery.
City Council decided against forming a committee, but instead plans to have the public join in on the renaming process. They plan to have a name decided on by September 3, 2020.
The cemetery is where the Confederate General was buried. It was formerly known as the Presbyterian Cemetery and was renamed in 1949.
- VSP issues missing senior alert for 68-year-old Charlottesville woman
- Firefighters better prepare themselves to protect their communities
- Sixth victim in York County mass shooting, Robert Shook, has died
- Body of man who crashed off CBBT in Dec. found on beach at Cape Hatteras National Seashore, family confirms
- ‘My son was a hero’: 15-year-old killed after protecting his girlfriend family says