RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — 1,149 inmates and 114 staff members have tested positive for coronavirus at Virginia correctional facilities, the Virginia Department of Corrections reported Monday afternoon.
According to VADOC, six people have died from COVID-19 including — 2 inmates at Buckingham Correctional Center, 1 at Deerfield Correctional Facility, 1 at Dillwyn Correctional Center, 1 at Sussex II State Prison and 1 at the Virginia Correctional Center for Women.
Virginia correctional facilities that have been hit hard by COVID-19 include the following:
- Buckingham Correctional Center — 113 total positive offenders, 7 positive staff members
- Dillwyn Correctional Center — 322 total positive offenders, 9 positive staff members
- Greensville Correctional Center — 192 total positive offenders, 52 positive staff members
- Haynesville Correctional Center — 246 total positive offenders, 9 positive staff members
8News investigator Kerri O’Brien received several emails from families concerned about Greensville Correctional Center. The facility has 52 staff members with the virus — the most at any VADOC prison.
8News reached out to the Virginia Department of Corrections who said the following:
“We did point prevalence testing at Greensville last week, which means we tested almost 3,000 offenders and all staff. That’s why Greensville is now showing the 186 positive offenders and 45 positive staff. COVID positive offenders are not housed with COVID negative offenders,” said VADOC Director of Communications Lisa E. Kinney, prior to Tuesday’s 5 p.m. update.
In addition to point prevalence testing at Greensville, the VADOC said they have tested inmates at Harrisonburg CCAP, Haynesville Correctional Center, Deerfield Correctional Center, and Dillwyn Correctional Center.
There is a separate method for testing employees. VADOC said all employees must “assess their risk on a daily basis prior to reporting to work.”
Vistations at VADOC facilities have been cancelled because of COVID-19.
This is a developing story. Stay with us for updates.
- CDC says 14-day quarantine can be shortened to 10 days, 7 with test
- Lundy scores 32, Dread hits 3 at buzzer as Penn St beats VCU
- Russell Westbrook traded to Wizards in exchange for John Wall
- Family members demanding answers from Richmond Police after horrific Thanksgiving crash
- Police arrest man linked to early morning Hopewell gas station shooting