NOTTOWAY COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — An overnight vehicle crash in Nottoway County has left one pedestrian dead, according to Virginia State Police.
Troopers said they responded to a crash involving a fatality on Route 460 at 12:55 a.m. this morning.
The VSP said a vehicle was traveling east on Route 460 when it ran off the left side of the road into a median about 600 feet west of Route 607. The driver then exited the vehicle and began to walk east on 460.
While walking, VSP said the pedestrian was struck by a vehicle that was also traveling east on Route 460, and hit the pedestrian 2/10 of a mile east of the original crash. The vehicle that hit the pedestrian did not stop.
The identity of the victim has not been released because VSP is still trying to notify next of kin.
This is a breaking story, stay with 8News for updates.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- Richmond Police have made an arrest in last summer's homicide at the Rodeway Inn.
- Two Virginia Commonwealth University students said they were followed home by an unknown man on Monday, campus police said.
- How a "danger to the community" was released from jail before a deadly shootout with Chesterfield policeChesterfield county's law enforcement and head prosecutor say last week's violent shootout between a suspect and police officers could have been prevented. 36-year-old Jeffrey Kite, a convicted felon, was shot and killed by police on Thursday after an 11-hour standoff and eventual shootout.
- A driver was traveling through the intersection of Interstate 95 and Chamberlayne Avenue when his vehicle was struck by gunfire. Virginia State Police says the shots went out around 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday in Henrico County.
- A U.S. Army soldier was arrested Tuesday in Georgia on terrorism charges after he spoke online about plots to blow up New York City's 9/11 Memorial and other landmarks and attack U.S. soldiers in the Middle East, authorities said Tuesday.
- After having their credit and debit card information stolen, several Chesterfield County residents are seeing a pattern: payments are being made in their name in Florida.
- A mother was found shot to death inside her vehicle Monday morning, and her 8-month-old daughter was discovered alive in the car with her body.
- A car thief who found a toddler in the backseat of a stolen vehicle drove back and chastised the mother for leaving the child unattended before taking off again, police in Oregon said.
- Virginia State Police have canceled an AMBER Alert issued for 5-year-old Bricen Kent Mwanawabene of Charlottesville.
- A man entered the Atlantic Union Bank in Bowling Green on Jan. 15, passed the bank teller a note demanding money and walked out with stolen cash. The suspect never showed a weapon or injured anyone in the process.