CAPRON, Va. (WRIC) — Two more coronavirus-related inmate deaths at Deerfield Correctional bring the center’s total to 17.
Since Wednesday, Sept. 23, Deerfield has reported a COVID-19 death each day. Monday’s report was the first to include two deaths.
As of Monday, 265 offenders continue to battle the disease. Sixteen offenders remain hospitalized, according to the Virginia Department of Corrections’ coronavirus update page.
Just last week, 8News spoke with correctional officers who work inside the center, who say the Virginia Department of Corrections is not taking proper steps to contain the coronavirus outbreak.
“They’re not cleaning properly,” said one officer.
The corrections officers also allege it’s been a battle with human resources to get tested or quarantine when they’ve been exposed to a known COVID-19 case.
- Powhatan Sheriff’s Office searching for 14-year-old, missing since last week
- StormTracker8: More clouds tonight; isolated showers/storms tomorrow
- ‘The IRS is overwhelmed’: Why you still haven’t seen your refund; What to do if you miss tomorrow’s deadline
- Coronavirus update: Richmonders hit the town after rollback of COVID-19 restrictions, others using caution
- Palaniuk claims victory in Bassmaster fishing event in Richmond