NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) — Police in Virginia say they are investigating an inmate suicide at a city jail.
The Newport News Sheriff’s Office said Matthew Glenn Hix hanged himself Saturday at the Newport News City Jail.
The 32-year-old Hix was booked into the jail in August to face a 2015 rape charge.
Police said the Newport News Sheriff’s Office and the Newport News Police Department will conduct separate investigations. Police said it is standard for both agencies to investigate an inmate suicide.
- StormTracker8: Plenty of clouds tomorrow with isolated showers
- Man driving motorcycle dies after a crash in Gloucester
- ‘We just need you back home safe’: Family of Olivia Grace Green the missing 12-year-old Powhatan girl asks for community’s help
- Fender bender shuts down access to Powhatan County Fair Saturday evening
- Stone Foltz investigation: 21 Bowling Green students face code of conduct violations