LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP) — Police in Virginia were dispatched on Friday to an apartment complex following reports of an active shooter.
Lynchburg police responded to Birchwood Apartments around 5:30 p.m. on Friday, WSET reported. The station quotes witnesses in the area as saying they saw officers in tactical gear and a SWAT vehicle, as well as hearing shots being fired.
The station also reported that police could be heard on loudspeakers talking to someone inside the apartments before a police crisis negotiation team showed up.
Officers are telling people to avoid the area because the situation is dangerous. Lynchburg police could not be reached Friday evening for additional comment.
Stay with 8News for updates to this developing story.
- StormTracker 8: Dense Fog Advisory for Southern VA until 9AM
- Richmond ‘porch pirate’ dressed as Amazon employee
- 2 dead in 6-vehicle crash Thanksgiving night in Richmond’s northside
- Many will be shopping online this holiday season & crooks are counting on it
- Was the first Thanksgiving actually in Virginia? The descendant of one settler says no question