VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia State Police say a man died after he was shot with his own gun during a struggle with troopers following a police pursuit late Wednesday.
According to Virginia State Police Spokeswoman Sgt. Michelle Anaya, around 10:23 p.m. Wednesday a State Trooper tried to stop a vehicle for reckless driving as it was heading westbound on I-264 near Newtown Road. The driver of the vehicle didn’t stop and a police pursuit ensued.
During the pursuit the suspect got off Interstate 64 at Indian River Road and drove into the parking lot of Banbury Lake Village Apartments and struck a parked car.
Police say the suspect ran from the crash scene but was caught by State Troopers after a brief foot chase.
According to police, as troopers attempted to take the man into custody, he pulled a gun out and started firing. During the struggle one of the bullets hit the suspect. Troopers immediately began first aid but were unable to save the man’s life.
Police say that none of the troopers involved ever discharged their firearms and no officers were injured in the incident.
The man’s body has been taken to the Medical Examiner’s office for an autopsy.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates.
- Cambios en el aprendizaje virtual en las Escuelas Públicas de Richmond
- Escuelas públicas de Chesterfield ofrecen soporte para Chromebook esta semana
- Vigilando Los Trópicos: Advertencia de marejada ciclónica emitida para las costas de Texas y Louisiana antes de Beta
- Aumenta la presión sobre los senadores republicanos por llenar el asiento de Ginsburg
- Bad Bunny hace concierto en vivo en New York montado en un camión