SALEM, Va. (AP) — A van carrying 80 dogs overturned on a highway in Virginia, causing some of the animals to be injured and others to escape the vehicle.
The crash occurred early Sunday morning on Interstate 81 in Roanoke County, according to Virginia State Police Sgt. Rick Garletts. It is unclear how many of the animals were injured or how many escaped.
Garletts told The Roanoke Times that it was also not clear who owned the vehicle or where it was headed. But the Fort Lewis Fire Department said in a Facebook post Sunday that the van belonged to a rescue group that was transporting the dogs to other rescue groups.
Roanoke County Animal Control is helping house the animals.
- Walmart removes $35 minimum order requirement for Express delivery service
- Richmond police seek info related to weekend homicide
- Looking for something fun to do in RVA? Take a guided trip on the James River
- Community partners needed for 8th annual Diaper Drive in Chesterfield
- Wizardry or AI? New service animates old still photos, bringing them to life