Shooter submitted resignation morning of mass shooting in Va. Beach

Virginia News

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia Beach officials held a briefing in the wake of the mass shooting at the city’s Municipal Center Complex Sunday morning.

Twelve people were killed after longtime city employee opened fire Friday afternoon at the complex. Eleven of the 12 people killed in the shooting were city employees. A contractor who was at the Municipal Center to get a permit was among those who died.

RELATED: ‘The most devastating day’: 12 killed, several injured in Virginia Beach shooting

Police Chief Jim Cervera said in a news conference Sunday morning officers were on scene outside the building where the shooting happened within two minutes. Cervera said described the offices as a “honeycomb” and a “maze” due to renovations over the years.

Officials with Sentara Healthcare said Sunday morning four people remain in critical condition. Three of those people are at Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital, while the fourth person is at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.

Sentara said one of the patients at Virginia Beach General was fair but is critical due to “post-surgery recovery.” The patient at Sentara Norfolk is considered critical but stable.

In the aftermath of the shooting, Virginia Beach Mayor Bobby Dyer said, “This is the most devastating day in the history of Virginia Beach.”

The deadly shooting led to an outpour of support from officials locally and nationwide, as well as neighboring localities in Hampton Roads. Virginia Beach City Public Schools Superintendent Aaron Spence asked everyone to wear blue on Monday in honor of the victim.

Both President Donald Trump and Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam ordered flags to be lowered to half-staff in honor of the victims.

Police identified the suspect as 40-year-old DeWayne Craddock, a worker in the public utilities department. Craddock was allegedly able to shoot more than a dozen people before he was killed in an extended shootout with officers.

Craddock’s family released a written statement on the front door of their home that said in part, “Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who loss their lives, and those recovering in the hospital.”

Cervera said Sunday Craddock was not fired nor was in the procress of being terminated from his position. Craddock’s performance within his job was “satisfactory”, according to City Manager Dave Hansen.

Hansen added that Craddock had put in his two weeks notice the morning of the shooting.

Craddock was moving as he was firing shots Friday. The number of shots Craddock fired was in the double digits, Cervera said.

Cervera said there is no information Craddock was targeting anyone.

City offices at the municipal center will be closed on Monday. Public schools and courts — along with other city offices outside the center — will operate on a normal schedule. Building 2 — where the incident took place — will be closed indefinitely, Hansen said.

This is a breaking news story. Stay with for updates.

Find 8News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

StormTracker 8

Trending Stories

More Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Local Events