VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Officials at Sandbridge beach are flying red flags Sunday morning due to rough surf.
The City of Virginia Beach posted the warning on social media urging residents to heed instructions from lifeguards and learn what to do in case they get caught in a rip current.
On Friday, Virginia Beach welcomed visitors nearly two months after being closed for anything except exercising and fishing.
Residents gathered to celebrate Memorial Day weekend as Governor Ralph Northam urged the community to stay safe and cautious.
“I just commend the city of Virginia Beach; all of their staff that we have been working closely together for the last several weeks on a comprehensive plan that really encourages the cleansing, the social distancing, the education — as you can see with these signs and also the enforcement,” said Northam.
- Report: Washington Redskins to remove Native American imagery
- Report finds most dog experiments at the VA unnecessary
- Lawmakers push back on order to send international students back home amid online learning
- Man found dead inside shooting range in Ashland
- White House Coronavirus Task Force pressures schools to reopen with limited federal guidance