PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Virginia State Police is warning citizens about the dangers of drunk driving after an impaired driver rear-ended a trooper’s vehicle.
According to VSP, a trooper was seated their vehicle finishing up a crash investigation on Interstate 395 when a southbound 2019 Jeep SUV ran off the road and slammed into the back of the patrol car.
Eyasu Urgesa Hayu, 32, of Woodbridge, was arrested at the scene for DUI and was taken to Fairfax Adult Detention Center.
The trooper suffered minor injuries.
Troopers used the Friday morning incident to remind drivers to never drive impaired or buzzed, citing the 518 DUI-related crashes in Northern Virginia from January 2020 through July 2020. Of those crashes, 296 have resulted in injuries and 15 in fatalities.
- Mid-American Conference cancels fall football due to virus
- Candlelight Vigil for Lebanon to be held at Monroe Park tonight
- State and city leaders come together for ‘Conversations at the Monument’
- StormTracker 8: Isolated storms this afternoon
- Coronavirus update: VDH reports more than 1,300 new cases since yesterday; free testing in Richmond