HOLDEN, Mass. (CNN) – — The Massachusetts Fire Marshal is warning of a viral video challenge that could cause a fire. Peter J. Ostroskey wrote in a letter to fire departments about the trend on social media platform TikTok that he calls an “unsafe use of electricity and fire.”
“It involves using the plug part of a phone charger, partially inserting it into the wall outlet, and then sliding a penny down the wall onto the exposed prongs,” Ostroskey writes. “The result is sparks, electrical system damage, and in some cases fire.”
“It doesn’t take much to be electrocuted, fatally electrocuted just by an outlet in a wall socket,” Plymouth Fire Department Chief Ed Bradley said.
Firefighters responded to Plymouth North High School Tuesday afternoon for a report of an electrical outlet that was sparking.
- ‘I was so shocked’: Louisiana parents welcome second set of identical twins
- Here’s what 2020 did to the list of most popular baby names
- Everyone in US gets a free taco after stolen base in Game 1 of World Series
- Man who suspended himself from Trump Tower in Chicago escapes private ambulance: police
- You won’t get a second stimulus check before Election Day, so what now?