ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Police say an Albuquerque man tried to kill his wife because he was upset over the coronavirus stimulus checks.
The Albuquerque Police Department arrested 63-year-old Joe Macias on Wednesday at his home near San Pedro and San Antonio. According to a criminal complaint, Macias was upset he apparently doesn’t qualify for the stimulus check so he asked his wife for her car keys so he could buy beer.
When she told him no, that’s when police say Macias left and came back with a gas can, pushed his wife to the ground then doused her and their mobile home in gas. Macias then allegedly tried to light a cigarette but was unsuccessful.
He’s facing several charges now including attempted murder.
- Pres. Trump threatens to deploy military if states don’t stop violent protests
- Virginia lawmakers react to rallies and riots over the weekend
- Trump wants governors to ‘dominate’ protesters
- Congressional Black Caucus drafting police reform bills
- Local radio hosts lend airwaves to conversations about George Floyd protests