NORTH ANDOVER, MA (KRON/CNN) – A Massachusetts mother saved her children’s lives as she rushed to pull them out of a toy car moments before it went up in flames.
A fire consumed a child’s toy electric vehicle just moments before two kids were in it.
“I think that was the really scary thing because they were buckled in, and they are both little, so neither of them could have gotten themselves out,” mother Michelle Kline told WBZ.
Fortunately, Kline was feet away as her kids started driving up the small hill in her neighbor’s North Andover yard.
She rushed over and got her 16-month-old and 3-year-old out of the vehicle.
Michelle says within 2 minutes, the toy was charred and this is all that’s left.
The Klines recently bought the $500 SPORTrax Awesome XL as a birthday present for their 5-year-old and 3-year-old.
Michelle says the manufacturer wouldn’t talk with them but did talk with the fire inspector.
“They did say to the fire inspector that they did put in a lot of fail-safes into the car to sort of protect people from this happening, which is again, part of the reason why we did purchase this car,” Kline said.
Fire Chief Bill McCarthy says it appears the fire started where the batteries are, but it’s hard to tell because there’s not much left.
Concerned about this happening to other children, the department notified the Consumer Product Safety Commission, fire marshal, distributor, and manufacturer.
The Kline kids are OK.
They are now relegated to playing with the old school pedal bike.