(WRIC) — Rocky Johnson, World Wrestling Entertainment Hall-of-Famer and father of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson has died, the company said Wednesday.
“WWE is saddened to learn that Rocky “Soul Man” Johnson (born Wayde Douglas Bowles), a WWE Hall of Famer, former World Tag Team Champion, and father of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, has passed away at age 75.”WWE
Johnson’s career in wrestling spans decades, the WWE said. He got his start in the mid-1960s in the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) before joining the WWE, then the WWF, in 1983.
Johnson, alongside WWE Hall-of-Famer Tony Atlas, became the first African-American World Tag Team Champions in the company’s history.
Johnson retired from the ring in 1991 but was integral in training his son, who would go on to become known by wrestling fans worldwide as “The Rock,” WWE said.
He was inducted into the sports entertainment company’s Hall-of-Fame in 2008.
- Would-be wedding guests surprise newlyweds with a drive-by celebration
- Dozens line up outside Hampton Bass Pro Shop to buy ammunition
- Patriotic Festival in Virginia Beach canceled for 2021
- Walmart removes $35 minimum order requirement for Express delivery service
- Richmond police seek info related to weekend homicide