HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Drivers should expect heavy traffic and delays this weekend near Richmond Raceway for the NASCAR races.
Traffic patterns will temporarily be altered on roads around the raceway on Friday and Saturday to accommodate fans attending the races. Drivers should expect extra traffic on Saturday before and after the race from 8 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and from 9:30 p.m. to 2 a.m.
Henrico Police officers will direct drivers before and after the races. Race fans and other drivers are encouraged to check traffic updates on message boards along interstates and other roads approaching the raceway.
WRVA-1140 AM will broadcast traffic reports and updates will also be posted on the Police Division’s Twitter account @henricopolice and Henrico Police Facebook site.
The following traffic patterns will be in effect Saturday, April 13 during peak hours:
• Carolina Avenue between Laburnum and Azalea avenues will be one-way outbound after the race. Access to businesses along Carolina Avenue will be maintained from Laburnum Avenue.
• Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road from the Henrico/Hanover county line to Azalea Avenue will be one-way southbound from about 1:00 p.m., until the race starts. Sections of Meadowbridge Road farther north in Hanover County will continue to accommodate two-way northbound and southbound traffic at all times.
• After the race, Laburnum Avenue from Carolina Avenue to Mechanicsville Turnpike will be one-way eastbound. Eastbound Laburnum Avenue from Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road to Carolina Avenue will be closed until race traffic disperses. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Laburnum Avenue west of Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road.
• After the race, beginning at approximately 10:00 p.m., Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road north of Azalea Avenue will be one-way northbound to Atlee Road in Hanover County. Richmond-Henrico Turnpike/Meadowbridge Road will be restored to two-way traffic when race traffic disperses.
• On-street parking on major routes to the raceway will be prohibited each day.
• There are no changes to general parking from last year’s races.
• The quickest and easiest way to access FREE parking at Richmond Raceway on Saturday at any time is through Meadowbridge Road. While there are several free parking areas near the raceway, Lot H has the easiest access from/to the interstate. There is a FREE tram service from Lot H to the backstretch that runs continually starting at 7:00 a.m. through post-race.
• There is no longer a shuttle service from downtown. However, there are over 800 acres of free parking on site.
• Lyft and Uber will enter Gate 4, pick-up/drop-off, and exit Gate 5.
• Please note Gate 6 on Carolina Avenue and Gate 2 on Laburnum Avenue are designated as permit-only entry gates. If you do not have a permit, you will need to access Lot D via Gate 4 for FREE parking (first come, first serve).
• There is no public parking in Gate 10.
For information on getting to the track and parking directions, visit Richmond Raceway’s webpage.