RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Severe weather dumped rain across Central Virginia Saturday morning, closing roads and flooding otherwise dry creek beds and back yards.
The photos and videos below show flash flooding around the region and we’d like to include your photos and video as well. Please email them to us with information about the weather scene in your neighborhood.
Flooding on Powhite Parkway in Richmond, Virginia. Driver is traveling south just past the Powhite Bridge that crosses the James River. (Video Tyler Thrasher)
Auto accident on Iron Bridge Road in Chesterfield County (Video Sierra Fox)
Flooding in Woodlake in Chesterfield County. (Contributed video)
Flooding on Otterdale Road north of Hull Street, in Chesterfield County on Saturday, Aug. 15, 2020. (Video John Childrey)
Flooding in River’s Trace, near River Road, in Chesterfield County. (Video from @koffee_kona on Twitter)
A normally dry creek bed was overtaken by flash flooding in Brandermill on Saturday, Aug. 15, 2020. (Video Shane Moreland)
Latest Weather Updates
- Rain to our east will exist this morning and then we will see some breaks of sun later this afternoon.
- After a record start, followed by a near-silent July, the Atlantic hurricane season looks like it will be busier than meteorologists predicted a few months ago. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on Wednesday updatedits outlook for the 2021 Atlantic season, slightly increasing the number of named storms and hurricanes expected in what is predicted […]
- Tracking the Tropics: 3 areas being monitored by NHC as we enter most active months of hurricane seasonThe National Hurricane Center is monitoring three areas in the Atlantic basin as we head into what's typically the most active part of hurricane season with "no signs of slowing," according to federal weather officials.
- A South Carolina couple was struck by lightning in front of their two young children while vacationing in Florida over the weekend, according to reports.
- Things are quiet in the Atlantic basin as we wrap up the second month of this year's hurricane season, but we don't expect it to stay that way for long.
- Monday afternoon storms sent a roof flying off a mobile home in Greenleigh Mobile Home Park in Chesterfield County.
- In Virginia, nearly 2,300 customers don't have power Tuesday morning after a thunderstorm rolled through our area last night.
- The sky has cleared after a thick haze blanketed the greater Richmond area on Wednesday as the result of West Coast wildfires. But is the air safe to inhale?
- While already trying to overcome a one-year delay and juggling athlete and spectator safety due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Tokyo Olympic Games organizers may have another hurdle coming their way — a hurricane.
- We're almost two months into the 2021 Atlantic hurricane season and things have remained quiet since Hurricane Elsa dissipated several weeks ago. That calm in the tropics is thanks, in part, to Saharan dust stretching across the Atlantic.